Elder Abuse Attorney
Table of Contents
Much of America’s senior citizens rely on nursing homes, assisted living organizations, and other forms of elder care. The people responsible for the care of our elderly loved ones have a legal and moral responsibility to discharge their duties in good faith and to prevent harm to the patients in their care. When those caring for elders violate these obligations or intentionally harm their patients, it is elder abuse.
Elder abuse takes many forms, including physical abuse, mental abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, financial exploitation, and more. When elder abuse occurs, the victims may feel trapped or too frightened of reprisals from abusers to speak up to loved ones about their situations. Family members who visit their elderly loved ones must remain vigilant for the signs of elder abuse and know what to do to put a stop to it. We believe that senior citizens deserve to be treated with dignity, which all too often does not happen in nursing homes.
Signs of Elder Abuse
If you regularly visit elderly relatives in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, or at their home where they receive regular medical care, it’s crucial to spot signs of abuse as soon as possible so you can end abusive situations before they escalate. Some of the signs of elder abuse include:
- Reclusiveness. An abused elder may appear withdrawn, distracted, or unsociable. This could be out of fear of the abuser, shame, or declining awareness.
- Sudden changes to medical status. Elderly individuals are more susceptible to illnesses and injuries than younger individuals, but it’s still crucial to keep close tabs on your loved one’s medical status and the status of any of his or her medical conditions. If you notice any sudden changes in your loved one’s treatment plan or medical chart, speak respectfully with his or her doctors and caregivers to find out the reasons behind these developments.
- Unexplained injuries. Inexplicable bruises, cuts, or other wounds. If you notice your loved one has wounds, make sure you find out the exact cause from his or her caregivers. If a caregiver cannot provide a reasonable explanation for your loved one’s injuries, this is a major red flag.
- Living conditions. Pay close attention to the cleanliness of your loved one’s living space. Elders often rely on caregivers for bathing and keeping clean sheets on their beds, among other things. If your loved one appears dirty or is sleeping on soiled bedding, this is serious cause for concern.
- Financial irregularities. Most elderly individuals allow a loved one such as an adult child or sibling to handle finances, or at least allow these individuals some degree of access to their finances.
Elderly individuals often rely on their loved ones and friends in these situations, so it’s up to the family members to spot the signs of abuse and take swift corrective action.
Legal Action for Elder Abuse
If your elderly loved one has suffered abuse in any way, the legal responsibility may fall on one or more parties. For example, if one caregiver was intentionally abusing your loved one, the caregiver will likely be liable for the abuse. However, the caregiver’s employer, such as a hospital, nursing home, or other organization, may face liability as well.
Damages in most elder abuse cases involve compensation for the medical expenses and pain and suffering resulting from the abuse. Compensation may also include repayment of financial exploitation or theft. The most important aspect of an elder abuse case is that it removes your loved one from a dangerous situation and holds the responsible parties accountable for their actions. It’s possible for elder abusers to face criminal charges in addition to civil actions from the elder’s family. Contact our attorneys for more information about elder abuse lawsuits in Florida. Call us today for a free consultation.
free consultation anytime, anywhere.
ALL FIELDS REQUIRED
- BIKE ACCIDENTS
- BRAIN INJURY
- BUS ACCIDENTS
- CHEMICAL BURNS
- DAYCARE INJURIES
- DELIVERY TRUCK ACCIDENTS
- DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT VICTIMS
- ELDER ABUSE
- ELECTROCUTION INJURIES
- HIT-AND-RUN ACCIDENTS
- MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
- NEGLIGENT SECURITY
- PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
- PLAYGROUND ACCIDENTS
- PREMISES LIABILITY
- SEXUAL ABUSE
- SPINE INJURY
- TEXTING AND DRIVING ACCIDENTS
- TRAIN ACCIDENTS
- TRUCK ACCIDENTS
- UBER OR RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS
- UNDERINSURED MOTORIST ACCIDENTS
- WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIMS
Damages Jury Verdict on behalf of the family of a 34-year-old woman who bled to death during childbirth. With the assistance of top experts, we were able to demonstrate that doctors did not follow proper safety protocols, forcing the defendants to admit liability shortly before trial.
A settlement won on behalf of the family of a 47 year old woman whose death resulted from the use of a dangerous pharmaceutical drug. We proved the manufacturer knew of the dangerous side effects & did not provide proper warning.
A settlement on behalf of a child who suffered a brain injury as a result of oxygen deprivation during birth. Through years of tactical and technical litigation, we were able to prove that the nurses and physicians both failed to intervene and prevent the brain injury.
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT
A settlement on behalf of a middle-aged man who was read ended by a waste management truck.
NURSING HOME NEGLIGENCE
A settlement on behalf of the family of an elderly man who died as a result of being neglected and uncared for by a nursing home.
I met Dan when I was in therapy and he came and right away it felt like a family member visiting you, a connection, like a brother. He’s been on both sides of the fence. He’s represented the hospitals and the doctors, and then he jumped over to the other side. It is a fantastic group, it was like Bell Belichick leading the team. They changed my life and still check on me. I recommend FHV to anybody and they thank me.
I met Dan about a year ago. He never made me feel that it was about the money. When he spoke with me he was asking how Bill (my brother) was and if he was doing better. He made me feel like family and always asked if I was alright. That means a lot. Everyday is something new and I challenge for my brother. I would recommend [FHV] to everybody because I really believe that they’re helping from their hearts… from a really good place.
For anyone to represent anyone for 5 years and take the time to do it, not once just “get it out of the way” and “get it done with”. It was about what was best for Hunter and our family. It was about the case and the people.
MAIN OFFICE - FORT LAUDERDALE
550 S Andrews Ave
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
CORAL GABLES OFFICE
999 Ponce De Leon Blvd
Coral Gables, FL 33134