Legal Assistance for Negligent Security Accidents

Written and edited by our team of expert legal content writers and reviewed and approved by Daniel Harwin

vertical gold line
horizontal gold line

Table of Contents

Negligent security is a subset of premises liability law. Public spaces such as colleges and universities, schools, apartment complexes, businesses, and more must take precautions regarding their property. Negligent security assumes that a property owner could have prevented a crime had he or she taken proper precautionary measures.

There are several instances in which a victim of a crime may be able to seek compensation from a property owner for negligent security. Some of the most common include but are not limited to:

  • Inadequate security at college dormitories (broken locks, poor lighting, etc.)
  • Lack of security measures at retail stores or parking lots (no security guard on duty, no cameras, etc.)
  • Lack of adequate lighting or security in an apartment complex parking lot

Failing to provide adequate security for customers, guests or residents can directly and negatively impact their safety.  If you or a loved one have suffered harm as the result of negligent security, you may be eligible for compensation under premises liability law. You may be able to hold a property owner responsible for your injuries if he or she did not take reasonable steps to prevent it.

Establishing a Negligence Security Claim

To pursue a negligent security claim, the plaintiff must establish that:

  • A property owner knew, or should have known, that a dangerous condition existed. This could mean that he or she failed to adequately warn a patron about the potential for dangerous activity, or take preventative action.
  • The victim was lawfully occupying the premises. For example, you may not be able to recover damages if you were trespassing.
  • A property owner breached his or her duty to provide reasonable security. This standard will vary depending on the nature of the premises.
  • The victim incurred damages because of the property owner’s negligence.

Navigating these cases can be difficult, both legally and emotionally. If you have been the victim of a criminal activity on someone else’s property, you may be able to collect damages for medical bills and mental anguish. Call the attorneys at Freedland Harwin Valori, PL, to schedule a free initial consultation with our firm. We’re here to help!

contact us pic

free consultation anytime, anywhere.





550 S Andrews Ave
Ste 630
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301



999 Ponce De Leon Blvd 
Suite 1030
Coral Gables, FL 33134