Sexual Assault Victim Lawyer
Table of Contents
Victims of sexual abuse often struggle with physical, mental, and emotional injuries. If you or a loved one are grappling with the aftermath of a sexual assault, you may be wondering if you have other options for legal recourse – even if the perpetrator is facing criminal charges. Victims of sexual assault can and do file civil lawsuits against their perpetrators – here is what you need to know.
Types of Damages Available in Civil Lawsuits
There are two avenues for justice after a sexual assault: in criminal court and in civil court. In a criminal trial, a defendant may face prison time and even additional fines. The Civil justice system, on the other hand, allows the victim to pursue their own money damages against the defendant or others who may be responsible. There are three types of damages available to plaintiffs:
- Economic damages provide compensation for the quantifiable costs of the assault. This includes medical bills, any lost wages, plus the ongoing costs of any mental health counseling or therapy.
- Non-economic damages is simply compensation stemming from losses that ar emch more difficult to quantify Victims of sexual abuse will have emotional scars that last a lifetime. Non-economic damages provide monetary compensation for pain, suffering, mental anguish, and any subsequent loss in life quality following an assault.
- Punitive damages are damages that are designed to punish the defendant for their conduct where that conduct is wanton, willful and shows a reckless disregard for the rights of others.
Due to the horrifying nature of these crimes, juries often award high damages for pain and suffering. However, the perpetrator’s personal assets may not be sufficient to cover these damages. In some cases, victims may be able to file a civil action against a third party, in addition to the perpetrator of a crime. Some examples include:
- A college or university, if the incident occurred on campus and as the result of negligent security
- A business or municipal building where the security was not adequate
- An employer who knowingly allowed or failed to prevent an employee from using their position to victimize someone
A personal injury attorney can help you determine who shares responsibility for your injuries.
Taking the Case to Court
There are two legal concepts by which sexual assault victims can gain compensation in civil court. One of the following legal theories generally applies:
- Assault and battery. This action arises from a harmful or offensive contact with the victim.
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress. This applies when someone’s conduct is so extreme and outrageous, that it causes severe emotional distress to another person.
In some cases, you may use evidence from a criminal trial in a civil proceeding, which could make the process easier. However, there is no need for a criminal charge in order to bring a civil claim. Also, it is generally easier to prevail in a civil proceeding, as the standard of proof is much lower. Unlike a criminal trial, which seeks to prove a defendant’s guilt or innocence “beyond a reasonable doubt,” a civil trial seeks to answer if it was “more likely or not” that an incident occurred.
Sexual assault is a traumatic experience, one that can have an impact on every aspect of your life. If you or a loved one has been a victim of sexual assault, and you believe that you have grounds for a civil suit, please contact our office to schedule your free case evaluation today
free consultation anytime, anywhere.
ALL FIELDS REQUIRED
- BIKE ACCIDENTS
- BRAIN INJURY
- BUS ACCIDENTS
- CHEMICAL BURNS
- DAYCARE INJURIES
- DELIVERY TRUCK ACCIDENTS
- DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENT VICTIMS
- ELDER ABUSE
- ELECTROCUTION INJURIES
- HIT-AND-RUN ACCIDENTS
- MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
- NEGLIGENT SECURITY
- PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS
- PLAYGROUND ACCIDENTS
- PREMISES LIABILITY
- SEXUAL ABUSE
- SPINE INJURY
- TEXTING AND DRIVING ACCIDENTS
- TRAIN ACCIDENTS
- TRUCK ACCIDENTS
- UBER OR RIDESHARE ACCIDENTS
- UNDERINSURED MOTORIST ACCIDENTS
- WRONGFUL DEATH CLAIMS
Damages Jury Verdict on behalf of the family of a 34-year-old woman who bled to death during childbirth. With the assistance of top experts, we were able to demonstrate that doctors did not follow proper safety protocols, forcing the defendants to admit liability shortly before trial.
A settlement won on behalf of the family of a 47 year old woman whose death resulted from the use of a dangerous pharmaceutical drug. We proved the manufacturer knew of the dangerous side effects & did not provide proper warning.
A settlement on behalf of a child who suffered a brain injury as a result of oxygen deprivation during birth. Through years of tactical and technical litigation, we were able to prove that the nurses and physicians both failed to intervene and prevent the brain injury.
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT
A settlement on behalf of a middle-aged man who was read ended by a waste management truck.
NURSING HOME NEGLIGENCE
A settlement on behalf of the family of an elderly man who died as a result of being neglected and uncared for by a nursing home.
I met Dan when I was in therapy and he came and right away it felt like a family member visiting you, a connection, like a brother. He’s been on both sides of the fence. He’s represented the hospitals and the doctors, and then he jumped over to the other side. It is a fantastic group, it was like Bell Belichick leading the team. They changed my life and still check on me. I recommend FHV to anybody and they thank me.
I met Dan about a year ago. He never made me feel that it was about the money. When he spoke with me he was asking how Bill (my brother) was and if he was doing better. He made me feel like family and always asked if I was alright. That means a lot. Everyday is something new and I challenge for my brother. I would recommend [FHV] to everybody because I really believe that they’re helping from their hearts… from a really good place.
For anyone to represent anyone for 5 years and take the time to do it, not once just “get it out of the way” and “get it done with”. It was about what was best for Hunter and our family. It was about the case and the people.
MAIN OFFICE - FORT LAUDERDALE
550 S Andrews Ave
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
CORAL GABLES OFFICE
999 Ponce De Leon Blvd
Coral Gables, FL 33134