Fort Lauderdale Surgical Malpractice Lawyers
When you or a loved one needs surgery, you expect the doctors to provide the highest level of care. However, surgical errors in Fort Lauderdale hospitals happen more than many people realize. If you have suffered an injury due to a surgeon’s mistakes or medical negligence, a Fort Lauderdale surgery malpractice attorney with Freedland Harwin Valori Gander can help you fight for compensation for your damages. Contact us for your free consultation now.
Table of Contents
Surgery is usually very stressful for patients and their families, and we simply trust that surgeons will perform the procedure according to medical standards. Unfortunately, surgical errors can occur and leave victims with painful injuries, expensive medical bills, lost income, emotional distress, and other long-term effects.
When a surgeon is negligent or fails to provide the level of care expected of their position as a doctor, patients deserve justice for their losses and suffering. A Fort Lauderdale surgery malpractice attorney with Freedland Harwin Valori Gander can help you fight for the maximum compensation for your damages and ensure the surgeon is held accountable for their mistakes. Schedule your free case evaluation today.
Our firm has obtained compensation for hundreds of victims of surgical malpractice, including but not limited to orthopedic malpractice, joint replacement malpractice, neurosurgical malpractice, cardiothoracic surgical malpractice, plastic surgery malpractice, gynecologic surgical malpractice, and many others.
Do You Suspect You Are a Victim of Surgery Malpractice?
Surgery can be a stressful process that involves vetting doctors and preparing for recovery. When something goes wrong during surgery, victims have to deal with even more. Surgery errors can lead to financial stress, a prolonged recovery, and other serious consequences. If you believe you are a victim of surgical malpractice in Fort Lauderdale, you have rights.
It’s vital to act quickly. Surgical mistakes can drastically impact your life, and immediate intervention can preserve evidence and help you get the medical attention you need. First, seek out another doctor for a full medical evaluation. Then, contact an experienced surgical malpractice attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
At Freedland Harwin Valori Gander, we focus on surgeon negligence claims and understand the complexities of these cases. We have the knowledge and skills to fight for the compensation you and your family deserve. If you need legal support to sue a surgeon in Fort Lauderdale, contact us now.
What Is Considered a Surgical Error?
Surgical errors occur when a doctor fails to provide the accepted standard of care during a procedure. If a surgeon acts negligently or fails to take action, causing you to suffer an injury and damages, you may qualify to claim compensation for medical malpractice.
Some common surgery malpractice examples include:
- Performing surgery on the wrong patient
- Operating on the wrong part of the body
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
- Leaving surgical tools or other foreign objects inside the patient
- Failure to sanitize surgical instruments
- Inadequate surgical preparations
- Anesthesia errors related to the surgery
- Mislabeling surgical samples
- Causing damage to healthy organs during the surgery
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Failing to recognize intra-operative surgical complications
Surgery Centers Near Fort Lauderdale
Our skilled medical malpractice attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, work with victims of surgical malpractice throughout the surrounding area, including those who may have received care from:
- Surgery Center of Fort Lauderdale
- Surgery Center of Weston
- Ft. Lauderdale Surgery
- Chrysalis Surgery Center
- Age Defying Surgical Center
- Pediatrix Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Specialists
- Fort Lauderdale Heart & Rhythm Surgery Center
Additionally, you may have undergone a procedure at a Fort Lauderdale hospital like Broward Health Medical Center, Memorial Hospital, Northwest Medical Center, Plantation General Hospital, or Holy Cross Health.
If you suspect surgical malpractice at any surgery center or hospital in Fort Lauderdale, contact us for a free consultation. We can answer your questions, explain your rights, and explore your legal options.
Examples of Surgical Malpractice Our Fort Lauderdale Medical Malpractice Attorneys Have Handled
- $24.5 Million Jury Verdict: Obstetricians negligently performed a cesarean section on a mother with a known placenta accreta who subsequently bled to death.
- $10 Million Settlement: Failure to appropriately cool a patient during a cardiothoracic procedure.
- $2.7 Million Settlement: Failure to appropriately interpret pathology after a nasal surgery that led to a delay in diagnosis of cancer.
- $2.6 Million Settlement: Failure to diagnose a pre-operative EKG that led to an improper clearance for surgery and caused the decedent to have a myocardial infarction.
- $1.85 Million Settlement: A hospital negligently credentialed a surgeon and allowed him to perform spinal surgery that led to a severe intra-operative injury.
What To Do If Your Surgery in Fort Lauderdale Has Gone Wrong
If something goes wrong during your surgery, determining if negligence or medical errors caused your injury is crucial to moving forward. When a surgeon does not perform their job at the level expected of their profession, you can file a medical malpractice lawsuit to recover damages. Speak with our Fort Lauderdale surgery malpractice attorneys to learn more.
Steps To Take If You Suspect Surgery Malpractice
If you or a loved one recently had surgery in Fort Lauderdale and you suspect surgical malpractice, here are important steps to take:
- Pay attention to signs from your body that your recovery is not going as expected.
- Seek immediate medical attention from another doctor familiar with the procedure.
- Do not raise legal concerns with your surgeon before you speak with a surgical malpractice lawyer.
- Document your symptoms and side effects by journaling and taking pictures.
- Gather and organize your medical records, bills, and any other documentation about your surgery.
- Speak with a trusted Fort Lauderdale surgery malpractice attorney.
While your health is always the priority, preserving evidence is also essential if you decide to bring a legal claim for damages. Contact Freedland Harwin Valori Gander today to schedule a free case evaluation and learn how our team can help you.
Does Botched Surgery Count as Medical Malpractice?
Botched surgery may constitute medical malpractice if your surgeon was negligent or did not provide the standard level of care for the procedure. However, you must be able to prove all the elements of negligence to recover compensation for your damages, including:
- Duty: To establish negligence, you must first show that the surgeon owed a duty of care to you as a patient.
- Breach of duty: Next, you must prove that the surgeon failed to meet their duty of care.
- Causation: The surgeon’s breach of duty must have caused your injuries.
- Damages: Lastly, your injuries must result in damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and physical pain.
If you can prove that your surgeon’s careless actions caused your injuries and damages, you can pursue a surgical malpractice claim. However, you must work with a skilled attorney who understands malpractice cases and can take on the big health care and insurance companies.
How To File a Surgery Malpractice Lawsuit in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Under Florida’s medical malpractice laws, victims can pursue compensation for their losses with a surgical malpractice lawsuit. Building a malpractice case in Fort Lauderdale is a complex process that requires extensive knowledge of the law and medicine, access to critical resources, and an unwavering commitment to justice.
Steps for bringing a surgery malpractice lawsuit in Florida include the following:
- Conducting a thorough pre-suit investigation to determine fault and medical negligence
- Obtaining a written opinion from a medical expert, known as a “pre-suit expert affidavit,” stating that the defendant breached the standard of care
- Notifying the defendant of your intent to sue at least 90 days before filing suit
- Filing the appropriate documents to initiate the lawsuit
- Gathering evidence, including medical records and witness statements
- Identifying your damages and calculating the value of your damages
- Negotiating with the insurance companies
- Taking your case to court if the insurance company cannot agree to a fair settlement
Our award-winning lawyers at FHVG will handle everything throughout your case so you can focus on getting your life back on track.
How Long Do You Have To Sue a Doctor After Surgery in Fort Lauderdale?
While some surgical errors are almost immediately apparent, other effects can take time to surface. In Florida, most victims of medical malpractice have two years from the date of discovery to file a lawsuit. In other words, the two-year deadline starts ticking from when you determine malpractice may have caused your injuries and losses.
Contact Our Fort Lauderdale Surgical Malpractice Attorneys Today
With over $2.6 billion in settlements and verdicts, our attorneys are passionate and aggressive. We employ all resources available to pursue the maximum recovery for our clients. Our team also has experience defending medical providers and their insurance companies, which gives us a unique perspective when fighting for our clients.
Put our 20+ years of experience to work for you. Call or fill out a form online to start your case today with a free consultation.
free consultation anytime, anywhere.
ALL FIELDS REQUIRED
Damages Jury Verdict on behalf of the family of a 34-year-old woman who bled to death during childbirth. With the assistance of top experts, we were able to demonstrate that doctors did not follow proper safety protocols, forcing the defendants to admit liability shortly before trial.
A settlement won on behalf of the family of a 47 year old woman whose death resulted from the use of a dangerous pharmaceutical drug. We proved the manufacturer knew of the dangerous side effects & did not provide proper warning.
A settlement on behalf of a child who suffered a brain injury as a result of oxygen deprivation during birth. Through years of tactical and technical litigation, we were able to prove that the nurses and physicians both failed to intervene and prevent the brain injury.
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT
A settlement on behalf of a middle-aged man who was read ended by a waste management truck.
NURSING HOME NEGLIGENCE
A settlement on behalf of the family of an elderly man who died as a result of being neglected and uncared for by a nursing home.
I met Dan when I was in therapy and he came and right away it felt like a family member visiting you, a connection, like a brother. He’s been on both sides of the fence. He’s represented the hospitals and the doctors, and then he jumped over to the other side. It is a fantastic group, it was like Bell Belichick leading the team. They changed my life and still check on me. I recommend FHV to anybody and they thank me.
I met Dan about a year ago. He never made me feel that it was about the money. When he spoke with me he was asking how Bill (my brother) was and if he was doing better. He made me feel like family and always asked if I was alright. That means a lot. Everyday is something new and I challenge for my brother. I would recommend [FHV] to everybody because I really believe that they’re helping from their hearts… from a really good place.
For anyone to represent anyone for 5 years and take the time to do it, not once just “get it out of the way” and “get it done with”. It was about what was best for Hunter and our family. It was about the case and the people.